After five months of mucking around, I finally managed to get Android Auto on my HTC U11 working with my new 2016 model Honda Civic’s built in stereo system.
First though, the symptoms:
- Neither my HTC M10 nor HTC U11 worked with the Civic’s Android Auto based stereo system
- The HTC phones can however do normal bluetooth based phone calls and play music
- The HTC phones work with Android Auto in other vehicles not made by Honda
- Several different Samsung phones (Note 3, S8 etc) successfully work with Android Auto in the Civic
Things I’d tried unsuccessfully to get Android Auto working:
- Reinstall Android Auto on the phone
- Disable Boost+ power optimisation of the Android Auto application
- Disable Boost+ power optimisation of the Google Maps application
And the trick that got it working in the end?
- Enable USB Debug Mode under the hidden Developer Options menu!
I currently have no idea why this solves the problem, but at least it works…